Senior R&D Process Engineer
Monolith is excited to announce its search for a Senior R&D Process Engineer.
At Monolith we apply scientific principles, engineering practices and a lot of hard work to solve real problems that have a global impact. We use sophisticated analysis methods, advanced manufacturing techniques, and often even our hands to build first of its kind technologies. We do not compromise on safety, quality or performance. If you want to solve tough problems, build real things, and have a big impact then you should join us.
The Senior R&D Process Engineer is responsible for the development and validation of Monolith's Core Technology in the scaleup of Monolith's Carbon Black and Hydrogen Manufacturing Process. This position will utilize plant data, operational experience, and first-principles based knowledge to both test and analyze results from a first-of-its-kind manufacturing facility (Olive Creek 1, or OC1) to help drive scale-up efforts for Olive Creek 2 (OC2) as well as technology development across future Monolith sites. The Senior R&D Process Engineer will work on all stages of the process, from research and development to design and manufacture, through to installation and final commissioning.
- Support the development of Monolith’s Core Technology
- Understand IP-sensitive process variables and product quality levers and their impact to recipe development and system design
- Plan and develop tests and procedures to help validate internally derived process levers
- Utilize test and production data to discover new correlations and levers that influence reactor performance, reaction mechanisms and product quality
- Perform economic analyses to show how process improvements and reactor performance impacts the business plan
- Solve Monolith’s toughest problems through adept and thorough data analysis
- Analyze OC1 Operation and evaluate impacts related to validation of the design basis of OC2 and future sites.
- Clean, shape, and organize data from multiple (sometimes conflicting) sources
- Perform descriptive statistics and analysis to develop insights
- Develop empirical and semi-empirical models that can predict future results from existing data
- Author reports and presentations summarizing findings
- Technical SME for Monolith’s Core Technology
- Holistically understand all aspects of Monolith’s reactor operation. Identify process and design improvements, and recognize how existing data today will impact future Monolith plants and new technologies
- Understand the basic working principles of all other of Monolith’s unit operations
- Utilize first-principles and sound understanding of transport phenomena, thermodynamics, and chemistry to go beyond vendor provided equipment info and draw correlations between process data and scientific principles
- Support and train site engineering, operations, and maintenance as needed in the “why” behind equipment operations and procedures
- Coordinate with other Core Tech (R&D) departments to transfer and scale-up findings from lab- and pilot-scale studies into the operation of Monolith’s commercial facilities
- Support Process Development and Plant Operations
- Assist in analyzing and optimizing performance of OC1 reactor and carbon black processing units
- As needed, assist in providing over-night support in completing test runs and training operations
- Provide technical guidance and input for SOPs, procedures, etc. related to new technology
- Participate in commissioning and startup activities
- Participate in Design Review, HAZOPS, etc.
- Identify process-related concerns and communicate needs/priorities to operations and management
- Utilize process simulations to enhance design validation, troubleshooting, and otherwise understand plant operations
- Coordinate with manufacturing, R&D, the OC2 Project Team and other parts of the company
- Organized: Ability to intelligently categorize information in a method that is intuitive to others
- Reliable: Consistent delivery on timelines
- Cogent: Efficiently explain research to the other members of the team
- Resilient: Perform well under pressure with a low ego that thrives on the team's success
- Inquisitive: Willingness and desire to learn
- Creative: Problem solver who challenges previous assumptions and methods to continuously improve and solve challenges; relentlessly pursues a better solution
- Adaptable: Demonstrated ability to adapt and change in a dynamic and evolving environment with grit, passion and perseverance
- Committed to our values
- Safety matters most
- Think like a team
- Solve the impossible, embrace reality
- People make the difference
- Decisions drive results
- Generosity of spirit
- Enjoy the ride
Candidate must also demonstrate a high level of safety awareness and conviction. Adherence and commitment to Monolith’s SHE philosophy and procedures is a must.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, and
- 4 years of experience in commercial plant design or operations, or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the job duties and responsibilities.
- Familiarity with Six Sigma principles (advantageous)
Work Environment and Travel Expectations
Your work will be performed within the engineering office at our OC1 Plant in Hallam, NE. Time working within the plant footprint will be required. Up to 10% travel may be required.