Development Planning Engineer
Join our Team
Monolith, located in Lincoln, NE, is excited to announce its search for a Development Planning Engineer.
At Monolith we apply scientific principles, engineering practices and a lot of hard work to solve real problems that have a global impact. We use sophisticated analysis methods, advanced manufacturing techniques, and often even our hands to build first of its kind technologies. We do not compromise on safety, quality or performance. If you want to solve tough problems, build real things, and have a big impact then you should join us.
The Development Planning Engineer will play a key role in defining and maturing opportunities based on Monolith’s growth plan. Perform necessary technical evaluations, formulate key early development studies, and screen variety of technical and commercial parameters to prioritize resources and make recommendations. Work closely within the development team and with other stakeholders to provide technical and commercial insights to identify, screen, and prioritize projects for advancement. Identify risks and mitigation strategies for advancing opportunities to a fully staffed Capital Project. Equally important to identify any show stoppers, advancement pre-requisites, and to make recommendations to pivot to alternative solutions or changes to the opportunity necessary to mature into a well-defined capital project.
- Play key role in defining new opportunities for Monolith. Convert company growth plan into well-defined capital projects. Work closely within development team to provide technical insight from initial conversations to finance-ready projects.
- Lead the technical aspects from project origination through a well-defined business case (FEL1/Pre-FEED). Support transition of new initiatives into capital action.
- Opportunity management of internal and external resources to perform analyses & studies to further opportunities. Review work products and provide recommendations to team members and executive leadership.
- Represent company during early stages of project definition. Meet with potential stakeholders to define project assumptions and design basis.
- Understand the history and capability of Monolith’s technology and be able to present value proposition to potential partners /stakeholders for integrating Monolith technology into commercially viable opportunities.
- Identify additional opportunities for economic or environmental advantages (e.g. co-location benefits). Balance pros & cons to make recommendations for project. Work closely with finical team members to develop robust business case and identify potential sensitivities based on early risk identification.
- Perform technology validation and selection at early stages. Identify optimal technology to deploy for selected sites. Work with engineering and capital project teams to define conceptual design basis key project assumptions, and key project risks. Develop initial risk management plan (both financial and technical) to mitigate risks.
- Maintain knowledge and relationships within strategy industry and regional groups. Represent Monolith at key industrial groups and conferences.
- Steward early stage project definition (through FEL1/Pre-FEED). Create project objectives and strategy statement, along with early project technical design basis and early project execution plan to meet optimal business outputs. Identify potential optimizations for FEL2/FEED studies.
- Develop and maintain key performance metrics and continuous improvement process for evaluation of FEL1 performance and planning.
- Lead and Support in conjunction with Capital Projects project transition plan (end of FEL1/Pre-FEED to planning of FEL2/FEED) to set up project for success.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to link complex technology solutions with commercial uses.
- Ability to balance competing, strategic priorities.
- Strong business acumen with an ability to frame technical issues within the context of customer imperatives.
- Efficiently explain research to the other members of the team
- Willing to accept feedback and learn from experience
- Perform well under pressure
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to frame customer/stakeholder concerns into commercial and technical value proposition
- A risk manager and mitigator
- Familiar with various early project inputs related to financial business models, siting studies, and permitting for major industrial plants and systems
- Committed to our values
- Safety matters most
- Think like a team
- Solve the impossible, embrace reality
- People make the difference
- Decisions drive results
- Generosity of spirit
- Enjoy the ride
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering or a related field, and
- Minimum 5 years of work experience, or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the job duties and responsibilities.
- Project development experience, developing large (>$100M) projects preferably in the oil, gas or chemicals industries.
The majority of the tasks involved with this position are performed in an open office environment.
Up to 25% domestic and international travel required.